Monday, April 17, 2006

"V for Vendetta"- - - must see movie

Once upon a time, I lived in the multiplexes of the world, and would watch anything, literally anything on the screen. (BTW, worst movie ever: Fat Guy Goes Nutzo. Yes, a real title. Check IMDB.)

Now, being older and 45 miles from the nearest theatre, I'm fortunate to catch two movies a year on the big screen. I said all that just to emphasize my enthusiasm for V. I am no high art moviegoer; I have one demand from any flick, and that is to entertain me. That's it.

Having said that, V works for me on multiple levels. Explosions and effective soundtrack? Check. Hero facing impossible odds? Check. An actual plot to fill the time between the explosions? Double-good check.

However, this is one 'message film' that actually has something worth saying and won't bore you to tears saying it. It's a message that we, a nation born of rum-running, tax evading rebels ought to recognize: that there comes a time when the only correct response is rebellion.

So, I was thrilled to see via www.boxofficemojo.com that the movie is about to break 100 million worldwide. It should be much higher, but I'm hopeful that it'll be massively purchased on DVD. I'm certainly going to do so.

Two notes: One, your enjoyment of the movie will be enhanced if you hit wikipedia for 5 minutes and learn about Guy Fawkes. Two, I will definately be using the subtitles on my DVD; the monologues are brilliant, but my hearing's a bit muddled and combined with the English accents, I know I missed some excellent stuff.

No comments: